Friday, January 20, 2012

My feelings on personal use piracy as a content creator.


I'm a "content creator" so I struggle where that line is. I'm for OPEN. What I'm not for is giving big companies a tool to kill competitors on technicalities. I'm not for hurting people who's crime was liking my art.

What it comes down to for me is two things:

1) If you steal my book today, you might buy my next one. Had you not stolen it, that wouldn't happen, so it DOES give me an extra chance to hook you. Writing is like hacking the mind, and I get a free shot at you if you steal my book. We both win if I hook you.


2) If you worry too much about stealing ideas, it bespeaks a fear that you don't have very many good ideas and this one was a fluke. So steal a joke or a read. I'm good enough to make more.

Here's what it comes down to for me. I'm against someone reprinting my book for their profit, sure.

But if you stole it cause you REALLY wanted to read it, I'm more flattered than mad.

You broke the law for me. THAT is real fandom.

-Will Ross
(so called content creator.)

No comments:

Post a Comment